Tanking in wet rooms is a critical step in ensuring that the area is fully waterproofed, protecting the underlying structure from potential water damage. This essential process requires attention to detail and the right products to achieve the desired watertight seal. Quantum Group NI offers a range of waterproofing solutions, and in this guide, we’ll walk you through the essential tips and techniques for effective tanking in wet rooms.
- Preparation is Key
– Inspect the Area: Before starting, inspect the walls and floors for any damage or irregularities that may compromise the waterproofing.
– Clean and Dry: Ensure that the surface is clean, dry, and free of dust, grease, or any loose material.
– Primer Application: Apply a primer suitable for the surface, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Choose the Right Waterproofing System
Select a waterproofing membrane that’s suitable for the specific needs of your wet room. Quantum offers a range of waterproofing products, designed to suit various substrates and conditions.
- Application of the Waterproofing Membrane
– Measure and Cut: Measure and cut the membrane to fit the area, allowing for overlaps at joints.
– Apply Adhesive: If using a bonded membrane, apply the adhesive evenly using a brush or roller.
– Position the Membrane: Carefully lay the membrane, pressing down to ensure a solid bond without air bubbles.
– Seal the Joints: Use a suitable sealing tape or joint compound to seal overlaps and junctions.
- Attention to Detail in Critical Areas
– Around Fittings and Fixtures: Special care must be taken around pipes, drains, and other fixtures to ensure a watertight seal.
– Corners and Edges: Utilise pre-formed corner pieces or make sure to cut and shape the membrane accurately to fit into corners and edges.
Before tiling, it’s advisable to conduct a water test to ensure the integrity of the waterproofing. Fill the area with water and leave for 24 hours to check for any signs of leakage.
Once you’re satisfied with the tanking, you can proceed with tiling, using a suitable adhesive and following standard tiling practices.
Tanking in wet rooms is a precise task that requires a systematic approach and quality products. By following these tips and techniques, you can achieve a robust waterproofing system that stands the test of time.
Quantum’s expert team is always on hand to provide further guidance and support, ensuring that you have the best products and knowledge for your project. Visit our online store to explore our wet room solutions or get in touch for personalised assistance. With Quantum, tanking in wet rooms becomes an efficient and effective task, setting the stage for a stunning and durable wet room design.